POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Varying Media : Varying Media Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Varying Media
From: Luke Church
Date: 20 Jul 2000 09:23:23
Message: <3976fd4b@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I think this question belongs here, but I am unsure. I suspect it is a
newbee question, apologies if it has already been answered somewhere else:

I have a cylindrical shape that contains an emission media, however I wanted
to vary the density, so that it decayed exponentially (preferably but linear
would do) as it approached the edge of the shape, after several hours trying
to play around with it I though I would ask for help.

A second question I have is as to the interaction between media, radiosity
and animations. Will either media or radiosity produce a 'gitter' effect
that is caused by random sampling, e.g. jitter and/or crand keywords?

The code is below:

#include "colors.inc"
#include "metals.inc"
camera {
        location <0, 20, -10>
        look_at <0,0,0>
}
light_source {
        <0, 10, -15>
        color rgb <1, 1, 1>
}
light_source {
        <0, 2.25, 5>
        color rgb <1, 1, 1>
}

difference {

        cylinder {      file://Main Cylinder
                <0, 10, 0>,
                <0, 0, 0>,
                2.5
                pigment { rgbf <0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 1>}
                finish { ambient rgb <0.5, 0.11, 0.1> }
                interior {
                        media {
                                intervals 10
                                samples 1, 1
                                emission rgb <0.75, 0.75, 0.75>
                                scattering { 1, 0.5}
                                confidence 0.9
                                variance 1/128
                                density {cylindrical
                                        color_map {
                                                [0.0 rgb <1, 0, 0>]
                                                [0.5 rgb <0.5, 0, 0.5>]
                                                [1.0 rgb <0,0,1>]
                                        }

                                }

                        }
                }

                hollow on

        }

        cylinder {        file://Cut-away
                <0, -1, 0>
                <0, 11, 0>
                2
                pigment { rgb <1, 0, 0> }

        }

}

Many thanks to everyone,
Luke Church

PS - Damned Outlook Express has converted my comments into ftp links -
please ignore them!